[svlug] (forw) Re: The February Lecture --- Changes in Firefox Offerings

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Wed Feb 23 17:39:39 PST 2011

begin Dr. Ed Morbius quotation of Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 12:59:47PM -0800:
> on 10:08 Wed 23 Feb, Don Marti (dmarti at zgp.org) wrote:
> >
> > One problem is that it seems like you need at
> > least three extensions to get the basic web privacy
> > functionality.
>
> Is there a browser which simplifies this to a greater extent?

Not yet.

> >  * Block third-party JavaScript by default, since it's almost always a
> >  sneaky user-tracking thing.  (Allow cakelisting for users who really
> >  want "post this link to example.com" buttons, or who want to
> >  participate in comment threads.
>
> What's your choice for that?  "NoScript" WFM.

Yes, works for me too.

> >  * Block Flash objects by default, but allow cakelisting for sites
> >  such as YouTube that still depend on this.
>
> FlashBlock

NoScript and FlashBlock overlap on this one.

> >  * Block third-party images in an easily user-configurable way.
>
> What are you using for this?  AdBlock Plus and ... ?

Homegrown blocklist.

> >  * Remove problem elements from web pages in an easily
> >  user-configurable way.
>
> I'm still looking for a solution I like, though RIP (Remove It
> Permanently) is kinda vaguely there.

AdBlock Plus is not bad for this.

> >  * Rewrite search result pages to remove click tracking.
>
> I suppose you're talking about referrers + ?ref= links, or is there more
> than that?  What tools?

That's the CustomizeGoogle extension (and successor(s)?)

> >  * Rewrite search result pages to remove problem sites.
>
> Such as?  How?

Personal Block is a good proof of concept:
  http://www.kynetx.com/personalblock/

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/