[svlug] (forw) Re: The February Lecture --- Changes in Firefox Offerings

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Wed Feb 23 15:59:37 PST 2011

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 12:59:47PM -0800, Dr. Ed Morbius wrote:

> >  * Rewrite search result pages to remove click tracking.
>
> I suppose you're talking about referrers + ?ref= links, or is there more
> than that?  What tools?

All the major search engines use click tracking when you click out of
a search result. This data is used for ranking purposes. It's
especially useful for moderately-common searches. It's usually
implemented in javascript to make it less visible.

The referer is passed by the browser; the easiest way to get around
that is to use https (HTTPS Everywhere can help.)

> >  * Rewrite search result pages to remove problem sites.
>
> Such as?  How?

blekko has a 1-click 'spam' button that makes websites disappear from
your future results. Google recently put out a Chrome extension with a
similar feature. It comes in handy when you disagree with your
favorite search engine about what spam is.

-- greg