[svlug] Great recent Unix software

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Sun Feb 13 20:22:45 PST 2011

Midnight Commander (mc), character mode, from about 1994.

atop

sshfs

All of the Free Software that has been updated to support Unicode, or
written from scratch because of Unicode requirements. Character Map is
one I use very frequently. Although you can do Unicode in character
mode, and there are bitmap Unicode fonts to support this, most of this
class of software is dependent on graphics mode. For example, Okteta
is a graphics mode, Unicode-capable hex editor.

Sugar education software (Not for general use)

On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 22:45, Seth David Schoen <schoen at loyalty.org> wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I'm writing a Unix guide for a friend.  My ongoing search for
> what to mention, together with Eric's reference to agrep here,
> reminded me of a mailing list thread from about a decade ago,
> perhaps here on the SVLUG list, where people mentioned the programs
> that they would want people to know about that had been developed
> recently and wouldn't have been a part of older Unix documentation
> (or some long-time Unix users' education).  Some examples mentioned
> at the time were ssh, screen, and rsync, all of which were invented
> or became popular in the mid-1990s.

Compare Introduction to the GNU/Linux Command Line. (Disclosure: I
helped write it.)

http://en.flossmanuals.net/gnulinux