[svlug] (forw) free laptop ?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Feb 8 01:00:17 PST 2011

Quoting Chris DiBona (cdibona at gmail.com):

> I thought I'd chime in here. ChromeOS laptops are not extremely locked down.

Well, more specifically the _CR-48 hardware_ isn't (in that you can flip
a switch to permit you to run a non-certified load, either pressing a
Control key or waiting 30 seconds during boot to acknowledge that you're
taking your chances running something of your own choosing).

According to the Chrome OS FAQ pages, a number of manufacturers are
likely to offer Chrome OS netbook preloads, and logically the degree to
which they're locked down will be up to the OEM.

--
Rick Moen                          "'Decimate' when referring to killing one
rick at linuxmafia.com                in ten.  'Octomate' when referring to the