[svlug] Weird fan sounds

Bill Ward bill at wards.net
Sat Aug 20 14:57:44 PDT 2011

On Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 2:38 PM, Don Marti <dmarti at zgp.org> wrote:

> begin Bill Ward quotation of Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 01:42:30PM -0700:
>
> >  I have an Ubuntu Linux PC in my living room that seems to be running
> just
> > fine, except for one thing - strange fan noises. Every couple of seconds
> it
> > does a little "vroom" noise, then stops immediately, repeating regularly.
> > Nothing in the log files indicates anything is awry.
>
> Just a guess, but couple of seconds -- something like
> five seconds?  Or whatever is in
>  /proc/sys/vm/dirty_writeback_centisecs
> ?

My sysadmin-fu halted when I switched to programming for a day job ... I
could administer a SunOS 4.x machine just fine, but /proc is a newer
innovation that I've never really grokked.

I haven't timed it, but I will check that "file" and time it.

> Are you running with any encrypted partitions?
> That can make writing out the page cache more
> cpu-intensive.

Nope.

--
Check out my LEGO blog at http://www.brickpile.com/