[svlug] Weird fan sounds

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Sat Aug 20 14:38:48 PDT 2011

begin Bill Ward quotation of Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 01:42:30PM -0700:

>  I have an Ubuntu Linux PC in my living room that seems to be running just
> fine, except for one thing - strange fan noises. Every couple of seconds it
> does a little "vroom" noise, then stops immediately, repeating regularly.
> Nothing in the log files indicates anything is awry.

Just a guess, but couple of seconds -- something like
five seconds?  Or whatever is in
  /proc/sys/vm/dirty_writeback_centisecs
?

Are you running with any encrypted partitions?
That can make writing out the page cache more
cpu-intensive.

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/