[svlug] PDF in a Kindle, etc.?

Robert Hajime Lanning lanning at lanning.cc
Tue Apr 12 01:56:18 PDT 2011

On 04/11/11 22:48, John Conover wrote:
> Is it possible to import a PDF document, (like the documentation to
> SAGE, SciLab, Octave, etc.,) into a Kindle?

There are two ways of getting your own documents onto the kindle.  You
can either email it (with a transmission cost) or copy it via USB.

For USB, it shows up as a normal USB block device, just mount and copy.

While viewing, you can search for phrases within the document just fine,
if the document is a text document and not a scan (raster image).

I would suggest the Kindle DX for PDF viewing, otherwise you will have
to view half a page at a time, sideways.  This is because PDF is a page
description language and as such it defines page size and where to put
each letter/graphic.  As such, it cannot re-flow text for different page
sizes, because the text stream is usually lost when converting the
document to PDF.

--
END OF LINE
      --MCP