[svlug] Need a Tutorial on Writing Linux Terminal Emulators

norm@dad.org norm at dad.org
Sat Sep 18 08:15:44 PDT 2010

Don Marti <dmarti at zgp.org> writes:

>Subject: Re: [svlug] Need a Tutorial on Writing Linux Terminal Emulators
>Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 09:46:30 -0700
>begin norm at dad.org quotation of Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 09:19:01AM -0700:
>
>> I want to write a Linux terminal emulator. I hope to write it mostly in Java,
>> with just a little C or C++. My notion is that there would be a core facility
>> that would enable anybody to write their own Java emulator, worrying only about
>> its GUI aspects.
>
>Have you looked at this project?  It's a pure Java
>terminal that seems to work:
>http://code.google.com/p/gritty/
>
>There's also the possibility of using an existing terminal
>widget such as VTE:
>http://library.gnome.org/devel/vte/unstable/VteTerminal.html
>and then building it in to your own application which
>could be in any language that supports that widget.
>So if you wanted to write a Java application with a
>VTE terminal widget in it you could look at:
>http://java-gnome.sourceforge.net/

Thank you very much! I will look at all of these. But even if I use one of them,
I would still like to understand how to write a Linux terminal emulator. So if
anybody is aware of a soft or hard copy tutorial, I would appreciate a pointer.

    Norman Shapiro
    798 Barron Avenue
    Palo Alto CA 94306-3109
    (650) 565-8215