[svlug] Need a Tutorial on Writing Linux Terminal Emulators

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Thu Sep 16 09:46:30 PDT 2010

begin norm at dad.org quotation of Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 09:19:01AM -0700:

> I want to write a Linux terminal emulator. I hope to write it mostly in Java,
> with just a little C or C++. My notion is that there would be a core facility
> that would enable anybody to write their own Java emulator, worrying only about
> its GUI aspects.

Have you looked at this project?  It's a pure Java
terminal that seems to work:
  http://code.google.com/p/gritty/

There's also the possibility of using an existing terminal
widget such as VTE:
  http://library.gnome.org/devel/vte/unstable/VteTerminal.html
and then building it in to your own application which
could be in any language that supports that widget.
So if you wanted to write a Java application with a
VTE terminal widget in it you could look at:
  http://java-gnome.sourceforge.net/

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/