[svlug] Cairo cross compile

Giriprasad Deviprasad g_pr21 at yahoo.in
Tue Sep 14 02:51:19 PDT 2010

Hi,

 I am using :
 export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/opt/asdlab/freetype/lib/pkgconfig:/opt/asdlab/fontconfig/lib/pkgconfig:/opt/asdlab/pixman/lib/pkgconfig/:/opt/asdlab/glib/lib/pkgconfig
export PKG_CONFIG="/usr/bin/pkg-config"
export CXX=arm-none-linux-gnueabi-g++

./configure --prefix=/opt/asdlab/cairo/ --host=arm --build=i686-linux --enable-ps=no --enable-pdf=no --enable-win32-font=no --enable-win32=no  --enable-freetype=yes --with-freetype=/opt/asdlab/freetype --with-fontconfig=/opt/asdlab/fontconfig

The final few lines of output from configure is :
checking for cairo's PNG backend...
checking for png... yes
checking whether cairo's PNG backend could be enabled... yes
configure: creating src/cairo-png.pc
checking for cairo's FreeType font backend...
checking for FONTCONFIG... yes
checking for FcFini... no
no
checking whether cairo's FreeType font backend could be enabled... no (requires fontconfig)
configure: error: requested FreeType font backend could not be enabled

Still cairo is not able to sense the installed freetype or fontconfig.

Thanks & Regards,
D.Giriprasad

I'm not sure that you've built the other cross-compile libraries correctly (you normally have the prefix acting as a faux-/usr directory -- as in freetype and fontconfig should coexist in one lib directory), but you should be able to configure it with something such as./configure --prefix=/opt/asdlab --with-freetype=/opt/asdlab/freetype --with-fontconfig=/opt/asdlab/fontconfig
As I'm an embedded developer I've cross-compiled Cairo for many different platforms (linux-mips, meander-arm, and awos-486 to name a few), so if you need any further help feel free to ask away. :)
HTH,Andrew