[svlug] How to sign a shell script?

Ajit Natarajan ajitk at email.com
Sun Sep 5 13:22:23 PDT 2010

Peter van der Linden wrote:
> Another thing you could do is encrypt the file using your private key, and let users decrypt it with your public key.   If the decrypted result is a shell file, then it came from you.  (Or, more accurately, it was encrypted with your private key).

I think that the way to digitally sign a document is:

1. Encrypt with your private key.  Since only you know your private
    key, this is the proof that the document came from you.
2. Encrypt the result of 1 with the recipient's public key.
3. Send the result of 2 to the recipient.

Only the recipient can decrypt this since decryption requires the
recipient's private key.  After that, the recipient uses your public key
to do the final decryption.

Ajit