[svlug] How to sign a shell script?

Bob Smith bsmith at linuxtoys.org
Sat Sep 4 13:58:03 PDT 2010

Does anyone here know a simple way to sign and check
a shell script?  Sorry to ask but I guess I could not
guess the magic words for Google.

The idea is to build a shell script and to sign it
using a private key.  Send the script to a remote
device that has a certificate for the signing key.
If the script is authenticated using the certificate
it gets executed.

So my questions:
  - Is there a standard way to sign a shell script?
  - If not, is there a standard way to sign a text file?
  - What program or Debian package does the above?
  - How do you verify a file from the command line?
  - How do you verify a file from within C?
  - In the script can I hide the auth info behind '#' chars?

thanks
Bob