[svlug] Fedora 12 wireless hell

Alison Chaiken alchaiken at gmail.com
Wed Sep 1 15:09:46 PDT 2010

David Rosenstrauch <darose at darose.net> writes:
> I've found that the b43 module that comes shipped with the kernel doesn't work with that card.  However, the (non-free) "linux_sta" (aka "wl") module provided by broadcom works great with it.  Try giving that a shot.
>
> http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php

Per

http://fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?p=1392337

I've just found that both

sudo rfkill unblock wifi

AND

sudo rfkill unblock bluetooth

together turn the wireless LED on when the hardware button won't.
My hard button appears to have failed.    (The mouse buttons on my HP
Pavilion dv2 aren't so happy either.)    Somehow this invocation of
rfkill enables WiFi which

ONBOOT=yes

in /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth1 and
/etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/ifcfg-eth1 were not, as

sudo rfkill list wifi

showed that wireless was still blocked.     I believe this is a
Network manager bug under Fedora 13, but the Gnome people denied it
and closed my bug report.    Whatev, my WiFi is up again, running the
latest kernel.

Right now I'm running with

INTEL_IOMMU=OFF

as a boot-time flag, but I'll try turning that off again to confirm
wireless still works.   I tried INTEL_IOMMU=OFF due to an LKML
suggestion.

Best wishes,
Alison

--