[svlug] Linux World? Open Source World? no more?

Paul Cubbage oldestgeek at gmail.com
Sat Jul 10 13:40:30 PDT 2010

Shows have a life cycle and Linux World lived a long time by comparison
although CES has gone on forever and Comdex (AKA how many ways can you
package Wintel junk) had a long life.

Shows arise with new technology/market.

Years
1-3 Gosh we're real!  Isn't this fun?  Exiting/interesting presentations.
3-5 Let's make a deal (swap kitties for puppies) and what is the competition
doing?  Interesting vendor presentaions.  Some exciting product
announcements.
>5  Let's sell to IT.  Some big companies cancel  Mo better of the same
product announcements.
5-8 RIP Why are we spending all this money? Where are the buyers?

Linux/UNIX technology isn't exactly new and it's iimpossible to sell enough
at a show to cover expenses.

Trade rags around technology have a similar life cycle.