[svlug] Business models (was Re: RANT: Ubuntu is Evil)

Alan DuBoff aland at softorchestra.com
Tue Jan 26 00:29:10 PST 2010

On Mon, 25 Jan 2010, Rick Moen wrote:

> Quoting Rick Moen (rick at linuxmafia.com):
>
>> You're probably thinking of S.u.S.E. Linux AG and Red Hat Software, Inc.
>> both separately offering OEMed boxed sets of ApplixWare 4.4.1 for Linux.
>> Red Hat Software's box came with Red hat Linux 3.0.3.
>
> By the way, I had this information at hand because I wrote the FAQ
> (independently of any of the firms in question).
> http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Apps/applixware.html

As I mentioned I did use to use ApplixWare for a bit, and it
worked ok to do timesheets and small documents.

But I have to admit to using what I refer to as the "Rick Moen
Hack".

This was at at time when it was becoming very difficult to exist
in a microsoft document centric world, before OpenOffice got to
the point that it could handle most of the documents, and you
had mentioned to me that you could just rename an HTML file to a
.doc and ms word would just convert it over as ms software
always tries to do all for the user, whether they want it or
not...lol

Anyway, I used to do my resume in HTML and just rename it to
.doc, per your advice...and I have to say it worked great! lol

I still laugh thinking about doing that, but it seemed to work
for most agents that didn't understand the dumb requirement of
giving them a ms .doc file for your resume. But I did that for
several years...:-)

--

Alan DuBoff - Software Orchestration
http://www.softorchestra.com:8080/roller/blog/