[svlug] Business models (was Re: RANT: Ubuntu is Evil)

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Sat Jan 23 12:13:23 PST 2010

begin Karen Shaeffer quotation of Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 11:07:05AM -0800:

> Agreed. I think Apple is a wonderful example of BSD being perfect for
> their business model. Linux wouldn't work well for Apple. Of course,
> Apple has invested a lot of resources in their OS. And that is the
> key in my opinion. I am a big fan of Apple computer. Huge fan. They've
> done it right.

On the other hand, you can do a totally locked-down,
easy-to-use machine, with a proprietary interface,
using Linux as the kernel:

  http://litl.com/

There's nothing about the actual litl UI or admin
software that the company has to publish.

http://zgp.org/~dmarti/
dmarti at zgp.org