[svlug] Business models (was Re: RANT: Ubuntu is Evil)

Karen Shaeffer shaeffer at neuralscape.com
Sat Jan 23 11:07:05 PST 2010

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 03:53:45PM -0800, John Conover wrote:
> Rick Moen writes:
> >
> > Major corporate Linux support didn't come until around 1998-1999, but
> > Linux had already stolen a march (as to development advances and
> > momentum) on the BSDs during the 1990-1993 period of the Unix System
> > Laboratories v.  BSDi and Regents of the University of California
> > lawsuit.  The BSDs simply never caught up, though their usage has
> > reportedly grown along the same curve as Linux, since the settlement.
> >

> Excluding Apple OS X, of course, (which is BSD based-with the Carnegie
> Mellon micro kernel extensions-and has about a 10% market share,
> against M$'s 89%; gaining most of that 10% in last 5 years at M$'s
> expense.)
>
> 	John

Agreed. I think Apple is a wonderful example of BSD being perfect for
their business model. Linux wouldn't work well for Apple. Of course,
Apple has invested a lot of resources in their OS. And that is the
key in my opinion. I am a big fan of Apple computer. Huge fan. They've
done it right.

Karen
--
 Karen Shaeffer