[svlug] Business models (was Re: RANT: Ubuntu is Evil)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat Jan 23 00:49:11 PST 2010

Quoting John Conover (conover at rahul.net):

> Excluding Apple OS X, of course,

No.  I'm pretty sure I correctly recall that Next, Inc. was a System V
licensee, so (like other licensees) they were in no danger of getting
embroiled in the lawsuit, even though NeXTStep was a proprietary fork of
4.2BSD (later updated).  In any event, they rewrote even more of UNIX
than CSRG did.

> (which is BSD based-with the Carnegie Mellon micro kernel extensions

Well, sort of.  xnu isn't Mach, but it is based in part on a fork of
a Mach release.

http://zgp.org/pipermail/linux-elitists/2003-January/005457.html

(In case the point is missed by anyone, Macintosh OS X _is_ NeXTSTep,
with some changes and a sticky-sweet paint job in place of the formerly
elegant graphical shell that I liked so much.)

--
Rick Moen               "For 1-5 pizza boxes, use the suffix -heap.  For 6-10,
rick at linuxmafia.com     use -henge.  10+ pizza boxes is a pizziggurat."