[svlug] Business models (was Re: RANT: Ubuntu is Evil)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Jan 22 13:13:25 PST 2010

Quoting Alan DuBoff (aland at softorchestra.com):

>> Caldera Network Desktop was an RPM-based distro based on Red Hat.  I ran
>> its Preview 2 release in 1995, and still have a copy.  CND v 1.0 shipped
>> later that year (http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/1151).  You may or
>> may not remember its Looking Glass graphical desktop shell, which was
>> really quite slick.
>
> I do remember that now that you mention it that way, but admit to using
> Red Hat at that time.

I actually never did install CND Preview 2.  What I did was use a trick
that Duncan MacKinnon showed me:

1.  Put CND Preview 2 into CD drive of one's Red Hat Linux 4.2 system.
2.  "mount /mnt/cdrom"
3.  "/mnt.cdrom/calderize"

That shell script retrofitted all of the Caldera additions onto RHL,
including Looking Glass.  Very nice, for its day.

--
Rick Moen               "References to online retailer Amazon.com should always
rick at linuxmafia.com     include '.com' even though they actually make money."