[svlug] Business models (was Re: RANT: Ubuntu is Evil)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Jan 22 12:33:41 PST 2010

Quoting Alan DuBoff (aland at softorchestra.com):

> On Thu, 21 Jan 2010, Karen Shaeffer wrote:
>
> > OK, thanks for mentioning Caldera. I do remember them.
> > And Alan brings up VA with Intel backing. So, I don't
> > really know who was first.
>
> I am not sure either, but it wasn't until the 3rd Linux World
> when it moved to Moscone when Caldera had their commercial
> version of a Linux distribution (one of the first based on
> Debian).

Um, no.  I believe the "commercial versions of a Linux distribution
based on Debian" you're thinking of, there, is Corel Linux OS, released
in 1999.

Caldera Network Desktop was an RPM-based distro based on Red Hat.  I ran
its Preview 2 release in 1995, and still have a copy.  CND v 1.0 shipped
later that year (http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/1151).  You may or
may not remember its Looking Glass graphical desktop shell, which was
really quite slick.

--
Rick Moen                          Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione.
rick at linuxmafia.com