[svlug] Business models (was Re: RANT: Ubuntu is Evil)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Jan 22 12:17:39 PST 2010

Quoting Karen Shaeffer (shaeffer at neuralscape.com):

> I personally believe the GPL license is central to the
> success of the linux kernel's excellent support from the
> corporate community. Just ask the obvious question. Go
> back to the early days. IBM and Intel could have decided
> to support BSD rather than Linux. But they didn't. Why
> not?

Major corporate Linux support didn't come until around 1998-1999, but
Linux had already stolen a march (as to development advances and
momentum) on the BSDs during the 1990-1993 period of the Unix System
Laboratories v.  BSDi and Regents of the University of California
lawsuit.  The BSDs simply never caught up, though their usage has
reportedly grown along the same curve as Linux, since the settlement.

--
Rick Moen                       "Fine.  The use of the passive-aggressive voice
rick at linuxmafia.com             is to be discouraged.  Whatever, MAN."