[svlug] Business models (was Re: RANT: Ubuntu is Evil)

Alan DuBoff aland at softorchestra.com
Fri Jan 22 09:06:51 PST 2010

On Fri, 22 Jan 2010, Don Marti wrote:

> begin Ivan Sergio Borgonovo quotation of Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 10:37:52AM +0100:
>
>> I'm thinking about routers... and curiously enough most of them are
>> still on 2.4 kernels exactly because they are using proprietary
>> drivers.
>
> Embedded development projects pick a kernel version
> and stick with it -- they usually don't upgrade even
> for new models in a product line.  TiVo is still on
> a 2.4 kernel, too:

That is a new kernel for them though, for years they used a
highly modified 2.0.27 kernel, as I recall, even when most of
the other embedded projects were on 2.4 kernels.

Embedded is a peculiar space, and device support has always been
key. I agree on the propietary drivers, however, sometimes the
drivers are hacked together and/or reverse engineered as many of
the companies won't provide the specs. This gives companies
caution about releasing a driver, if it is not approved by the
vendor. This happens a lot in the embedded space as companies
will use a chipset to save a nickel on manufacturing costs, not
thinking about having driver support. Certain companies are
notorious for not providing specs, such as Broadcom as an
example. Corporations are reluctant to release reverse
engineered drivers as they will often not want to violate their
relation with the very vendors they can't get the specs from to
begin with. Linux can help in that regard, if the driver is in
the sources.

--

Alan DuBoff - Software Orchestration
http://www.softorchestra.com:8080/roller/blog/