[svlug] Business models (was Re: RANT: Ubuntu is Evil)

Alan DuBoff aland at softorchestra.com
Fri Jan 22 08:58:20 PST 2010

On Thu, 21 Jan 2010, Karen Shaeffer wrote:

> OK, thanks for mentioning Caldera. I do remember them.
> And Alan brings up VA with Intel backing. So, I don't
> really know who was first.

I am not sure either, but it wasn't until the 3rd Linux World
when it moved to Moscone when Caldera had their commercial
version of a Linux distribution (one of the first based on
Debian).

Trivia: Don Marti and Jim Gleason had a Linux consulting company
that was one of the first which VA bought, if not the first.

On Thu, 21 Jan 2010, Karen Shaeffer wrote:

> I personally believe the GPL license is central to the
> success of the linux kernel's excellent support from the
> corporate community. Just ask the obvious question. Go
> back to the early days. IBM and Intel could have decided
> to support BSD rather than Linux. But they didn't. Why
> not? I cannot think of a reasonable answer other than
> the different licenses.

I think the license has been pretty key to Linux myself, but not
sure it was a deciding factor for Intel or IBM. The numbers of
x86 chipsets being used on Linux way outnumbered any other
chipset, so it was a natural for Intel to support it.

Device support seems like a bigger factor for folks like IBM,
who were still manufacturing Thinkpads before they sold that off
to the Chinese. IBM did have a Thinkpad that included LinDVD but
was very hard to find on their website, possibly around 2000.

I think the reason they adopted Linux rather than BSD was purely
where the masses were going, and BSD just not having as much
device support. Microsoft gave Linux a lot of credit themselves
by claiming it was a threat to it's business in their infamous
court case. I think that got a lot of people to look at and try
Linux, also.

--

Alan DuBoff - Software Orchestration
http://www.softorchestra.com:8080/roller/blog/