[svlug] Business models (was Re: RANT: Ubuntu is Evil)

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Fri Jan 22 01:37:52 PST 2010

On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 08:53:24 -0800
Don Marti <dmarti at zgp.org> wrote:

> begin Ivan Sergio Borgonovo quotation of Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at
> 09:21:59AM +0100:

> > Considering most embedded stuff I know run on old kernels and the
> > only reason to switch to Linux would be it has a wider market
> > share and wider hw support and BSD was (?) considered to have
> > better network stack.

> > Could it be that they learned to prefer Linux license?

> Linux makes it very difficult, both from a license
> point of view and an API chasing point of view,
> to maintain a device driver outside of the main
> kernel tree.

> So drivers that people use for more than one project,
> or drivers that parts manufacturers want to get out
> to _their_ customers in order to get their parts
> into more products, tend to end up in the tree.
> This makes it faster for embedded developers who are
> using hardware that's already supported, and gives
> you a bunch of known working cut-and-pasteable driver
> code for that hardware that isn't.

I'm thinking about routers... and curiously enough most of them are
still on 2.4 kernels exactly because they are using proprietary
drivers.

I'm not sure if the situation is changing and I don't know enough
any other piece of embedded hardware where things may work
differently but this partially undermine your thesis.

Maybe routers are a very small part of the embedded panorama now.

Now Linux is ending up in a lot of mobiles and I've heard it is
starting to end up in TV sets.
I'm aware of people hacking mobiles, I don't know if there is a
large community hacking TV sets.

I'm not completely convinced of your thesis.

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it