[svlug] Business models (was Re: RANT: Ubuntu is Evil)

Karen Shaeffer shaeffer at neuralscape.com
Thu Jan 21 20:22:51 PST 2010

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 09:21:59AM +0100, Ivan Sergio Borgonovo wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 21:52:22 -0800
> Why?
>
> Considering most embedded stuff I know run on old kernels and the
> only reason to switch to Linux would be it has a wider market share
> and wider hw support and BSD was (?) considered to have better
> network stack.
>
> Could it be that they learned to prefer Linux license?

Hi, Good question. I don't try to get too entangled in
why corps do what they do with linux and or bsd. I do
know the example I am aware of was likely about reducing
the maintenance cost. And I think they believed linux had
better support from hardware vendors, which one could also
roll into the notion of reduced maintenance costs as well.

I personally believe the GPL license is central to the
success of the linux kernel's excellent support from the
corporate community. Just ask the obvious question. Go
back to the early days. IBM and Intel could have decided
to support BSD rather than Linux. But they didn't. Why
not? I cannot think of a reasonable answer other than
the different licenses.

Thanks for your comments,
Karen
--