[svlug] Business models (was Re: RANT: Ubuntu is Evil)

Karen Shaeffer shaeffer at neuralscape.com
Thu Jan 21 20:03:00 PST 2010

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 08:39:21AM -0800, Don Marti wrote:
> begin Karen Shaeffer quotation of Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 09:52:22PM -0800:
> > Agreed. And this was the catalyst that transformed linux into a
> > world class business technology. I might be wrong, but I believe
> > that Intel and IBM were the first two corporations to invest
> > venture capital into the linux ecosystem. From this perspective,
> > I believe the GPL license was critical in inducing these corps to
> > envision the path to success using the linux ecosystem.
>
> AFAIK the first Linux VC investment was by the Canopy
> Group, which was the firm that former Novell CEO Ray
> Noorda started.  They invested in a company founded
> by former Novell employees, called Caldera, before
> Red Hat got its investment from Intel and before IBM
> started making any serious Linux noise.

OK, thanks for mentioning Caldera. I do remember them.
And Alan brings up VA with Intel backing. So, I don't
really know who was first. But now that we are focused
on these early events, I make the observation that IBM
and Intel's interest in Linux was different -- these
were and still are 2 of the most prestigious tech
firms on the planet. And their early support for the
linux ecosystem, including their very public stance
on the bright future for linux made it OK for every
corp to consider linux for business. And I believe
that is really what took linux to the next level in
business I think. And the rest is history as they
say.

Thanks for the comments. Interesting stuff.
Karen
--
 Karen Shaeffer
 Neuralscape, Palo Alto, Ca. 94306