[svlug] Business models (was Re: RANT: Ubuntu is Evil)

Alan DuBoff aland at softorchestra.com
Thu Jan 21 09:48:34 PST 2010

On Thu, 21 Jan 2010, Don Marti wrote:

> AFAIK the first Linux VC investment was by the Canopy
> Group, which was the firm that former Novell CEO Ray
> Noorda started.  They invested in a company founded
> by former Novell employees, called Caldera, before
> Red Hat got its investment from Intel and before IBM
> started making any serious Linux noise.

Don,

In a way VA was the first company to invest in Linux, and Intel
was indirectly responsible for the majority of VC money into it,
at least to my memory. (6,000,000+ shares).

I would still give credit to VA though. LarryA was the first
person hiring Linux developers from out of the open source
community.

--

Alan DuBoff - Software Orchestration
http://www.softorchestra.com:8080/roller/blog/