[svlug] Business models (was Re: RANT: Ubuntu is Evil)

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Thu Jan 21 08:53:24 PST 2010

begin Ivan Sergio Borgonovo quotation of Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 09:21:59AM +0100:

> Considering most embedded stuff I know run on old kernels and the
> only reason to switch to Linux would be it has a wider market share
> and wider hw support and BSD was (?) considered to have better
> network stack.
>
> Could it be that they learned to prefer Linux license?

Linux makes it very difficult, both from a license
point of view and an API chasing point of view,
to maintain a device driver outside of the main
kernel tree.

So drivers that people use for more than one project,
or drivers that parts manufacturers want to get out
to _their_ customers in order to get their parts
into more products, tend to end up in the tree.
This makes it faster for embedded developers who are
using hardware that's already supported, and gives
you a bunch of known working cut-and-pasteable driver
code for that hardware that isn't.

BTW, type [stable api] into Google with the "suggest"
feature turned on.  It says "nonsense".

  http://www.kroah.com/log/linux/stable_api_nonsense.html

http://zgp.org/~dmarti/
dmarti at zgp.org