[svlug] Business models (was Re: RANT: Ubuntu is Evil)

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Thu Jan 21 00:21:59 PST 2010

On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 21:52:22 -0800
Karen Shaeffer <shaeffer at neuralscape.com> wrote:

> Yes -- There are a number of BSD appliances out there, but there
> are far more linux based appliances. And I am aware of one very
> significant BSD shop that has made the switch to linux. Its very
> healthy that companies have a choice of business model for
> appliances with respect to BSD and Linux. What works in one place
> may not be best at another. Choice is good for the entire
> ecosystem.

Why?

Considering most embedded stuff I know run on old kernels and the
only reason to switch to Linux would be it has a wider market share
and wider hw support and BSD was (?) considered to have better
network stack.

Could it be that they learned to prefer Linux license?

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it