[svlug] Business models (was Re: RANT: Ubuntu is Evil)

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Wed Jan 20 21:27:57 PST 2010

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 11:18:08PM -0500, Luke S Crawford wrote:

> I believe the vast majority of 'open source business
> models'  are based around using the open source software to build
> infrastructure, then selling or otherwise obtaining money in
> exchange for those services that are provided by the aforementioned
> infrastructure.

Another big contribution is companies like Intel and IBM, who pay
people to work on open source software so that they can sell more
hardware and services.

Another contribution is anyone who redistributes GPLed software as
part of a product, like all of the people shipping embedded Linux in
products such as routers or tablets or phones or whatever. While the
development company generally don't want to upstream their changes,
they are available for others to look at and upstream.

Interestingly, while you might think that the last group would tend
towards BSD, much of the activity there is with Linux.

-- greg
(My employer is in the category that Luke mentioned.)