[svlug] SW Licensing

Paul Cubbage oldestgeek at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 15:51:51 PST 2010

Andrew,

What makes your Mac female?
"Andrew Wilcox (Sent from my Mac)
I kneel before her, beneath this frozen sky..."

Agree that a FOSS support business model is tough to make work.  One problem
is that companies that use FOSS have programmers who tell you they can take
care of support problems.  My experience is that they don't do all that well
at it because it's not part of their job description/goals.

There may be opportunities in niche markets where the budgets are good and
the cost high.  I've looked into a supput model for mapping software.  When
your business is dependent on old mdoel software empires like Autodesk,
ESRI, MapInfo, et al then you get to pay a high price for clumsy stuff that
is fat and slow but you have little choice.  There is FOSS  stuff that
outdates much of it and the customers can be clearly identified (government,
research, surveyors, contractors, utilities etc) meaning you can find them
through lists, professional organizations, D&B, etc.

Some problems:
- the engineers you need are all trying to write the 30,001th app for the
iPhone or the 10th for the Pre (LOL)
- investors want to see a whole bunch of IP

Anyway, I think the problems are the same for any FOSS support model other
than those coming from a major FOSS provider e.g. Red Hat et al.

Paul Cubbage