[svlug] Subject change - Ubuntu Is Not Evil

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Wed Jan 20 10:00:48 PST 2010

begin Alan DuBoff quotation of Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 11:20:54PM -0800:
> On Mon, 18 Jan 2010, Don Marti wrote:
>
> >No corporation, as such, is a decison-making agent.
> >Everyone inside the corporation has his or her own
> >agenda.  Some of those align with software freedom,
> >and others don't.
>
> Where I see a bigger problem is where we have entire countries that
> are not privy to open source development. This exists today, and
> this threatens to damage the commons.

There is no "commons" in software.  The term of
copyright is longer than software has been around.
(Snip rat-hole discussion of the rare "public domain
dedication" licenses.)  What we have is a useful set
of software that all belongs to _someone_, and a set
of norms for cooperating to maintain it.

This article by  Yochai Benkler ought to be required
reading for participants in licensing arguments:
  http://www.yale.edu/yalelj/112/BenklerWEB.pdf (PDF)

> I 'spose this is no different than a corporation, other than it
> seems wrong that such masses consider free software to ultimately be
> free beer.

The biggest problem is aggressive promotion of
proprietary software through the marketing program
called "software piracy."

  Ariel Katz. "A Network Effects Perspective on Software Piracy"
  http://works.bepress.com/ariel_katz/3

One of the easiest things you can do for Software
Freedom is to report the people who make infringing
copies of proprietary software to the Business
Software Alliance.

http://zgp.org/~dmarti/
dmarti at zgp.org