[svlug] SW Licensing was:(RANT: Ubuntu is Evil)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Jan 19 15:51:15 PST 2010

Quoting Don Marti (dmarti at zgp.org):

> And the thing that drives many computer programmers absolutely nuts is
> that there's no automatic rule for what is and isn't a derivative
> work.

If they work for proprietary software firms, they can ask their
corporate lawyers.

If that doesn't work for them, or if they're trying on their own to find
creative ways to proprietise other people's code against those coders'
wishes, and don't have expensive lawyers to lean on, I really have no
sympathy whatsoever.

--
Rick Moen                                "The suffix '-bate' means 'to lessen.'
rick at linuxmafia.com                      Yeah, we were surprised, too."