[svlug] RANT: Ubuntu is Evil

Chris Miller lordsauronthegreat at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 03:45:47 PST 2010


Despite your repeated ad homonym arguments I continue to entertain you.

On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 7:20 PM, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:
> Quoting Chris Miller (lordsauronthegreat at gmail.com):
> If coding meets your needs, why are you wasting time complaining about
> _other_ programmers' licensing?  Maybe you should increasing your
> percentage of coding time.

Let me recap: you told me to get off my arse and write some BSD code
if it's so much better ("rather than humiliating yourself in public" I
believe you wrote).  So I show you that I do have code that is BSD
licensed, which proves that I eat my own dogfood.  So now what I think
you're trying to say is to stop bashing your Holy GPL and to go write
more code, which is completely besides the point.

>> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#DoesTheGPLRequireAvailabilityToPublic
>> If you have a solution to that....
>
> "Solution" to what problem?

Nevermind, you obviously lack the perspective to even comprehend what
I'm attempting to say.  Sorry for burdening your ideology with my
boring desires to merge the ideal with the practical.

>> The principle of selling software licenses is built on scarcity....
>
> This is actually non-sequitur; all you've really said is that you like
> the notion of monopoly rents, and wish to charge them on
> something-or-other.  However, in that particular, you need to have a
> severely disapproving word with a certain Chris Miller, who says he
> likes BSD licence, the use of which for software obviously undercuts
> monopoly rents, too.

Why is it beyond comprehension that I could enjoy a world of both free
and paid-for software?  Is there something wrong with mixing the two?

Mr. Chris Miller likes the BSD licensed stuff because it gives FOSS
the freedom to use it, and because it gives companies the ability to
use it.  Mr. Chris Miller loves his Mac, OS X, and how fun it is to
use a Darwin (mach) kernel and a proprietary window manager in tandem
to do something novel: get more work done.  No, I don't feel morally
compromised at the end of the day.  Why?  Because I believe that free
software should be shared with everyone.  Putting on restraints that
prevent certain people from using it (eg. corporations making
proprietary software) seems suspicious and of low-moral fiber to me.
It seems like the little girl in kindergarten who decided who could
and couldn't hold the class' pet turtle - basing it off of her friends
list.  That's BS.  It's the class' turtle, everyone should get a turn,
no matter who.

The entire concept that FOSS and proprietary software are mutually
exclusive is a logical fallacy in and of itself (either/or reasoning).

>> I wonder why companies that sell nice stamped Linux installation disks
>> aren't uh...  "major players?"
>
> Wait, wasn't that a licensing-advocacy troll debate point in the _90s_,
> before broadband destroyed that market?  Have you been trapped in a
> time-capsule?

And you say this as if this is supposed to invalidate an argument?

-- 
Registered Linux Addict #431495
For Faith and Family! | John 3:16!
http://www.fsdev.net/




More information about the svlug mailing list