[svlug] RANT: Ubuntu is Evil

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Jan 17 19:20:45 PST 2010

Quoting Chris Miller (lordsauronthegreat at gmail.com):

> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#IfLibraryIsGPL
>
> From what I read, I'm still not particularly excited about the GPL.
> Perhaps their FAQ is wrong?

Notoriously so on derivative works.

> http://www.fsdev.net/projects/lib/repository
> http://www.fsdev.net/projects/eve-api-java/repository
> http://www.fsdev.net/projects/eve-api-objc/repository
> http://www.fsdev.net/projects/fscode/repository
> http://www.fsdev.net/projects/firewiki/repository

If coding meets your needs, why are you wasting time complaining about
_other_ programmers' licensing?  Maybe you should increasing your
percentage of coding time.

> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#DoesTheGPLRequireAvailabilityToPublic
> If you have a solution to that....

"Solution" to what problem?

Clue:  You have yet to identify a problem.  You seem to dislike some
other programmers' licensing.  Have a virtual lollypop.  "Chris Miller
dislikes what some folks choose to do with their personal property"
fails to qualify as a problem.

This has been explained to you before.  Do you get it, yet?

> The principle of selling software licenses is built on scarcity....

This is actually non-sequitur; all you've really said is that you like
the notion of monopoly rents, and wish to charge them on
something-or-other.  However, in that particular, you need to have a
severely disapproving word with a certain Chris Miller, who says he
likes BSD licence, the use of which for software obviously undercuts
monopoly rents, too.

Anyway, there are no special reasons why anyone else should care about
your ability to gain monopoly rents from software.  Also, as has been
abundantly covered elsewhere (e.g., The Magic Cauldron), the lion's
share of software is not written with the aim of "selling software
licences", anyway.

> I wonder why companies that sell nice stamped Linux installation disks
> aren't uh...  "major players?"

Wait, wasn't that a licensing-advocacy troll debate point in the _90s_,
before broadband destroyed that market?  Have you been trapped in a
time-capsule?

--
Rick Moen                    "Passive voice is used when the receiver of an
rick at linuxmafia.com          action is more important than the performer.  Ex: