[svlug] RANT: Ubuntu is Evil

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Jan 17 17:22:43 PST 2010

Quoting Chris Miller (lordsauronthegreat at gmail.com):

> Yes, the letter of the law lets you sell GPL software.
> In practicality, I'm not going to have much success selling
> librandomlibrary disks when my customers can use wget for nothing.

Sounds like a personal problem.

> Maybe their creators intended to keep it strictly open-source forever.

Maybe their choice of licence achieved exactly what they intended, and
it's really none of your business anyway.

> I use LLVM/CLang, but as GCC-compiled software doesn't touch on a
> source level* I think it's safe.

I sure hope you compile NetBSD from source.  You wouldn't want to be
guilty of hypocrisy.

Oh, and you're going to want to eschew anything under all _other_
reciprocal licences, such as MPL and APL.