[svlug] RANT: Ubuntu is Evil

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Sun Jan 17 07:08:02 PST 2010

On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 22:05:26 -0800
Chris Miller <lordsauronthegreat at gmail.com> wrote:

> So, to say, Microsoft couldn't use librandomlibrary for whatever
> reason in Windows, because librandomlibrary is GPL licensed.  They
> would have to make the entire Windows codebase (or at least
> portions of it) GPL.

Can Microsoft do something for us once they integrate that library
in their code base?
Yes, for sure: I care.
No: I don't care.
Maybe: I don't believe it

Is GPL limiting Microsoft interest: maybe.
Is GPL limiting *my* interest? I doubt.
Do you have so many MSFT stocks to care?

> Is it really freedom if you're free to do whatever you want with
> the software AS LONG AS it fits within a subset of abilities -
> such as using it with whatever software I please?  This is why I
> like the BSD license: you can use the software for whatever, they
> don't start modifying what you can do with your other software if
> it touches the GPL on a source level.

Well I thought that one of the advantages of Open Source was
"co-maintaining" the code base.

And I'm really wondering how you can build up a long lived business
with BSD licensing without actually behaving as you'd have with a
GPL license.

As a matter of fact I wonder if using a BSD license makes any
difference unless you're the steering force of a project (you're
holding the break to changes that will break your proprietary
changes). Once you write a proprietary extension to a BSD project
you'll have to maintain it and integrate back the improvement made
on the public project. Your customers will miss the advantage of a
"free market" for services (in your eyes this is an advantage, not
in your customers eyes).

I know there are companies that seems to be living on this (the
first that comes to my mind is EnterprideDB). But I'm still
wondering. Economy of software is pretty "new" compared to finance
and the mistakes we are still making on finance should make it clear
we still have no clear idea about how we can make it work.

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it