[svlug] RANT: Ubuntu is Evil

Alan DuBoff aland at softorchestra.com
Sat Jan 16 23:05:13 PST 2010

On Sat, 16 Jan 2010, Chris Miller wrote:

> The other blocker is that it proactively requires that any software
> used in association be GPL licensed (or a compatible license).

There's a reason for that.

The fact is that as a whole, open source faces what is known as
the "tragedy of the commons". No matter how we dice it up, this
is a reality that exists.

This is where the same people that are stealing high tech jobs
away can suck the daylights out of open source and not give
anything back, if it wasn't for GPL. That presents a danger to
open source.

There is 2 sides to this coin, and the fact is that there are
good reasons to support GPL. This is coming from a long time
supporter of the BSD license. As Rick pointed out, don't try and
compile any of your code with gcc then, because it's GPL.:-/

--

Alan DuBoff - Software Orchestration
http://www.softorchestra.com:8080/roller/blog/