[svlug] RANT: Ubuntu is Evil - think before posting , please

Skip Evans skip at bigskypenguin.com
Sat Jan 16 14:19:27 PST 2010

Hey all,

Sorry for being daft, but this thread interests me and I'm a
bit lost in what positions were being taken. And maybe I was
being a smart-zodnik.

But I just felt a bit weird about guys with cell phones
sending GPS coordinates to a map when they see a girl walking
down the street to report her whereabouts without her knowledge.

Of course any technology can be and does get misused, but I
just feel mildly creeped out by a system designed for a guy to
go "Man, she's hot. She needs to be on the map!" Beep! And
then a red dot appears somewhere saying, "There's a good
looking girl here," and she had no say in the matter at all.

I guess I'm just old fashioned. I just go eat lunch outside on
State Street and watch the University of Wisconsin woman walk
by, but I don't want to "map" them.

Skip

Chris Miller wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 11:18 AM, bruce coston <jane_ikari at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> And we need to ban all cars , cameras and binoculars for reasons of potential misuse .
>> Historically , the Linux Community position about world domination software etc. = please use our software . He stands alone in neither his preference nor his warning that one should trust Debian over Ubuntu .
>
> He had a perfectly valid point.  These were things that the higher-ups
> grappled with during the design process as well.
>
> I saw nothing out of line with it.
>
> --
> Registered Linux Addict #431495
> For Faith and Family! | John 3:16!