[svlug] Investing in OSS

Alan DuBoff aland at softorchestra.com
Thu Jan 7 11:23:03 PST 2010

On Thu, 7 Jan 2010, Rick Moen wrote:

> Concur.  And, at that, if all that Oracle Corp. ever did for Linux was
> issue guidelines to make Oracle RDBMS run really, really well on it,
> we'd have no grounds for complaint,

I agree on the guidelines, I know a couple companies that didn't
want to run Oracle on Linux because of the difficulties in the
past of getting it setup and running. I haven't tried to install
on Linux in 6 or 7 years, and it was pretty time consuming.

> but they also do some quietly
> effective and praiseworthy things, like btrfs, Xen improvements, and,
> well, this:  http://oss.oracle.com/

They do have a lot listed there, maybe I wasn't fully aware of
what they are doing. Still, comparing those pages to IBM's
Developer Works pages leaves quite a different impression.

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/

The interviews I've seen with Larry Ellison, he's visciously
attacking IBM and saying he's going after them with his recent
acquisition of Sun. Those OSS pages would be a good place to
start.

--

Alan DuBoff - Software Orchestration
http://www.softorchestra.com:8080/roller/blog/