[svlug] Investing in OSS

Alan DuBoff aland at softorchestra.com
Thu Jan 7 11:26:02 PST 2010

On Thu, 7 Jan 2010, Bill Ward wrote:
> I was referring to OCFS (Oracle Clustering File System) which is open
> source, though primarily useful for hosting Oracle databases.

Bill,

That actually sounds ok to me. One of the problems in the past
has been that you needed to allocate storage for the server, and
it was a lot of work to resize/add space once done.

Does the OCFS let you dynamically grow the storage?

I haven't had to do that in quite some time, so not sure if they
have improved that area or not. In the past you were required to
do a backup of the entire database, create new storage, and
import the data.

--

Alan DuBoff - Software Orchestration
http://www.softorchestra.com:8080/roller/blog/