[svlug] Investing in OSS

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Jan 7 10:46:51 PST 2010

Quoting Luke S Crawford (lsc at prgmr.com):

> Alan DuBoff <aland at softorchestra.com> writes:
>
> They do seem to be horrible at marketing to the open-source
> community;   but this could be one of those things that is a side
> effect of being good at marketing to PHB types.

Concur.  And, at that, if all that Oracle Corp. ever did for Linux was
issue guidelines to make Oracle RDBMS run really, really well on it,
we'd have no grounds for complaint, but they also do some quietly
effective and praiseworthy things, like btrfs, Xen improvements, and,
well, this:  http://oss.oracle.com/

I keep watching to see if CRFS is ready for primetime.  That'll be cool,
if it's ever finished.