[svlug] Investing in OSS

Luke S Crawford lsc at prgmr.com
Thu Jan 7 08:46:40 PST 2010

Alan DuBoff <aland at softorchestra.com> writes:

> I thought their Linux distro was based on Red Hat, has that changed
> and they have an entire distro they manage now?

I've not tried it myself, but the redhat sales guys go way out of
their way to discredit it, so it may be worth a look.

Like I said, I don't have personal experience with oracle linux,
so I don't know about it specifically, but just being based on something
else doesn't mean it's valueless;  all my desktop systems are based on
Ubuntu, which I feel provides a reasonable value over and above Debian, on
which it is based, at least for desktop systems.  (I have very little
Patience for screwing with desktop systems.  If I am going to put
in the effort I'm going to put in the effort on my servers,
where I can see a monetary return on my time investment.  I demand that
my desktop works out-of-box, and ubuntu gives that to me.)

> What type of filesystem do they have that is OSS?
> folks using their VM solution other than Oracle customers?

My understanding is that Oracle is one of the main contributors
to btrfs, Linux's answer to ZFS.  Btrfs has a lot of the features
we need in a filesystem.  It's yet to be seen if btrfs will become
the next standard, but at the very least it's a good step in the right
direction (now if only we could convince Oracle to re license ZFS
under the GPL... that would be really nice.)

I've also seen contributions from Oracle show up in the xen-devel
mailing list, and I know they often sponsor Xen-related events.

They do seem to be horrible at marketing to the open-source
community;   but this could be one of those things that is a side
effect of being good at marketing to PHB types.