[svlug] Investing in OSS

Chris DiBona cdibona at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 16:36:37 PST 2010

I would point out that Oracle, besides committing to continue 'investing' in
mysql, also committed to not exercising that which might apply to mysql in
their patent portfolio against mysql users via the OIN. This is a huge deal.
It means that forks and users of mysql can continue unabated.

I think the argument that not-oracle needs to control mysql's copyright for
it to continue to be useful/thrive is bogus. All hail forking.

Chris

On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 4:19 PM, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:

> Quoting Bill Ward (bill at wards.net):
>
> > The author(s) of MySQL should have thought of that before selling it to
> > Sun.  There's nothing on that page that doesn't apply equally to Sun.
> >
> > I should shut up now though, or the lawyers will yell at me.
>
> What you said.  (Not the bit about lawyers.  ;->  )
>
> You're not the only one dubious about Monty Widenius's campaign.
>
> http://sitaramc.blogspot.com/2010/01/mysql-campaign-my-thoughts_01.html
>
> http://journal.dedasys.com/2009/12/13/mysql-oracle-and-the-european-commission
>
>   [...] I think that our time as "the open source community" is better
>   spent fighting for more important things: against bad software patents,
>   for open standards in governments, and that sort of thing, that will
>   benefit everyone, rather than trying to wrest control of Monty's code
>   back from Oracle after he's already been paid handsomely for it.

Open Source Programs Manager, Google Inc.
Google's Open Source program can be found at http://code.google.com
Personal Weblog: http://dibona.com