[svlug] Investing in OSS

Alan DuBoff aland at softorchestra.com
Wed Jan 6 15:51:56 PST 2010

On Wed, 6 Jan 2010, Daevid Vincent wrote:

> You mean *THIS* Oracle? http://helpmysql.org

Funny thing is that I have written a substantial amount of
software, and prior to joining VA Research (yes, it was called
that when they hired me) I had never been able to use open
source software for a complete project.

However, I made it a point to see if it could be done when I was
at VA. I was hired mid/late '98 I think, it was just prior to
the transition to move to Bordeaux Dr. in Sunnyvale (since
demolished and now new Yahoo buildings).

I ran 2 databases on my servers, mSQL and MySQL. mSQL because
originally another consultant was going to do a Java front end
which required a plug-in that was available for mSQL. That never
happened the the backend which ran the MySQL database had a web
interface grafted on top of it...

I ran the database on Red Hat with a 2.0.36 kernel, running an
old version of KDE. I didn't use GNOME as it leaked memory like
a vegetable strainer leaks water, in those days. One of the more
difficult components was getting a working version of Perl,
which was notorious for not working on Linux in those days.

Trivia: the server that hosted the MySQL database stayed up for
297 days, and would have kept going longer had it not been for a
power outage on Bordeaux. Larry Augustine came to find out why
the database wasn't up, when I explained there was no UPS on it
as I had created it and it had been running since they first
moved into the building. Rob Walker confiscated the machine and
moved it to the lab and put it on an UPS, and gave me a new
machine as it's replacement...lol

Seeing MySQL stand up to production use made me a believe in
Open Source, and more so that MySQL was truly an alternative to
Oracle. That was 10 years ago...:-/

--

Alan DuBoff - Software Orchestration
http://www.softorchestra.com:8080/roller/blog/