[svlug] DNS & Firefox fails on Linux, WindIE works only on older windows OS, ex not Vista

Tony Hartzell hartzellt at gmail.com
Sun Apr 25 08:38:48 PDT 2010

   There are people in this user group who know a lot more than me,
but I believe the DHCP server provides the name servers. They can be
over-ridden in  the DHCP client script.

   '/etc/resolv.conf ' lists the name servers you're currently using.
If there are any non-VPN type addresses listed, try pinging them. If
they won't ping, or tthere are only VPN addresses (like 192.168.1.1)
then I suspect your router has some DNS servers which have been
manually entered on the router. If you don't have privileged access to
the router, I would try opening a command prompt on one of the windows
machines that works. Issue the command 'ipconfig /all' and see what
DNS servers are listed beyond the router...edit /etc/resolv.conf and
put one of these servers as the first in the list, and see if the
resolver is working. E.g. ping ubuntu.com...if that works, edit
dhclient.conf and add a line like;
prepend domain-name-servers 66.77.88.99, 11.22.33.44
                   Tony