[svlug] Fedora 12 wireless hell

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Apr 23 10:43:19 PDT 2010

Quoting David Rosenstrauch (darose at darose.net):

> Yes, of course.
>
> The problem I ran into was actually very odd:  if my machine was already
> booted up, and then I unloaded the wl module, and loaded b43, then b43
> would work fine.  But on a fresh boot b43 wouldn't work - network was
> dead.  I spent an hour or so trying to figure out cause/solution and
> eventually gave up, as this is my work laptop and I had work to do.

Does sound bizarre -- obviously a hardware initialisation problem.
Could have been just a matter of not a sufficiently recent version of
the driver and surrounding kernel code:  Now that I look up the
"wireless" pages at kernel.org, it appears that full support was
introduced only with kernel revision 2.6.33.

http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#Supported_chip_types

Unfortunately, Broadcom is among the hardware manufacturers least
cooperative with the open source community, so reverse-engineering of
each chipset's programming interface is required.

(The best thing about miniPCI cards is that you can extract those
suckers and replace them if they're from companies like Broadcom.  ;->)