[svlug] Fedora 12 wireless hell

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Fri Apr 23 07:06:04 PDT 2010

On 04/22/2010 07:53 PM, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting David Rosenstrauch (darose at darose.net):
>
>> You're probably in the same boat as me.  I have a Dell Wireless 1397
>> WLAN Mini-Card, which is also a Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 model.
>>
>> I've found that the b43 module that comes shipped with the kernel
>> doesn't work with that card.
>
> Did you make sure you fetched and installed into /lib/firmware the
> firmware ("BLOB") image file required for the kernel's hotplug
> subsystem to initialise the BCM4312 chipset?

Yes, of course.

The problem I ran into was actually very odd:  if my machine was already
booted up, and then I unloaded the wl module, and loaded b43, then b43
would work fine.  But on a fresh boot b43 wouldn't work - network was
dead.  I spent an hour or so trying to figure out cause/solution and
eventually gave up, as this is my work laptop and I had work to do.

DR