[svlug] Fedora 12 wireless hell

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Thu Apr 22 07:19:50 PDT 2010

On 04/21/2010 09:20 PM, Ehud Kaldor wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am stuck on a big change in my life. After a couple of happy years
> with Ubuntu, I decided to hop distro and try Fedora with my new laptop
> (Dell latitude E6400). Everything seems to be solvable (as there is no
> Linux in PnP) except for the wireless. After it not being there after
> the initial and appearing after the first 450 updates in yum, I cannot
> get it to find a network. Sometimes it sees them and fails to connect
> but mostly the Network-Manager list is empty.
> Lspci claims it is a Dell 1370 hiding a Broadcom 4312 [xxxx:4315]. I
> have crawled Google for any combination of Fedora, 12, wireless, dell,
> broadcom and 4312 and tried all it threw at me. NDISwrapper with
> several drivers, kmod-wl, RPMfusion and probably made a salad. Now I
> went back to blankand reinstalled, and am going to try again before
> defaulting back to Canonical.
> Did anyone have any good advice, or am I doomed to be distro-bound? Help...
>
> And thanks,
> Ehud

You're probably in the same boat as me.  I have a Dell Wireless 1397
WLAN Mini-Card, which is also a Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 model.

I've found that the b43 module that comes shipped with the kernel
doesn't work with that card.  However, the (non-free) "linux_sta" (aka
"wl") module provided by broadcom works great with it.  Try giving that
a shot.

http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php

HTH,

DR