[svlug] Fedora 12 wireless hell

Deyan Bektchiev svlug at bektchiev.net
Wed Apr 21 21:04:33 PDT 2010

I've used Fedora with a couple of laptops over the last five years and
initially it used to be quite a job to make it to work. In recent
versions (Fedora 11 and 12) things are much better however it's a hit
or miss depending on the kernel. Some versions work flawlessly and
some don't work at all. And the worst of all with some versions the
wireless card seems to work initially only to be disconnected in a few
minutes/hours.

Over the last couple of years I've been getting only Intel wireless
cards so that I don't need to use ndiswrapper but with earlier
versions of Fedora it used to work OK although some versions were
buggy so I had to compile it from source.

Regards,
Deyan